The Book Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPs and Downs

2 posters

Go down

UPs and Downs Empty Re: UPs and Downs

Post  Deana Godmon Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:07 am

Hi

yes I come across the book people a lot in my travels (I try to pack them away whilst i am there!!!). One of my recruits does leave book boxes with nurseries along with catalogues and picks them up a couple of days later and finds this is very well received. i think you just have to judge your nursery for yourself, I like to give a personal touch if i can that way we stand apart from BP and the others who seem to dump and run returning to pick up orders etc.

As far as I can tell the BP now take money up front - or so it would seem from the displays I have seen.

Just one other thing - keep plugging for those christmas parties etc, i know some are taken but I'm finding that lots still have space and are really happy for you to come along, the booking I am doing tonight I only found out about last monday and booked on tuesday so there are still things out there with no takers. But I agree if you can book ahead then it is a very good idea to do so - and this gives you the oppportunity of staying in touch during the year too!

deana

Deana Godmon

Back to top Go down

Post  Beckyb Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:19 pm

I found a similar thing when I went to a soft play area. I think people are too concerned about what their children are up to to concentrate on looking at loads of books!!

I remember once being at a toddler group and someone doing books coming in (could've been BP but not sure) They had quite a good way of doing things so I thought I'd share the idea on here! They had about 8 books displayed with an order form by them. It was a list of these 8 books which you could write your name next to if you fancied ordering any of them. The only thing was that you paid when your order came in not before. I think this might be a really good way of tackling these sort of groups and promoting our special offers. Displaying just a few books for people to look at and then having catalogues on offer for people to take away. You would leave the display there and come back at the end of the session and take the order form and books back. Any orders could then be delivered the following week for collection from the group. Although I think we'd definitely have to get money up front!

It's only an idea but I've found that even at parties some people are a bit bewildered by the vast amount of books in the catalogue to look through in a short space of time. I tend to have to talk about a limited selection to catch their attention. Then if they want to know more or are looking for something particular they'll ask.

I've only just started so I expect I'll learn more as experience grows and I'd be interested to hear how other people tackle different sorts of groups.

Am definitely going to try and get my name down to do some Xmas fairs for next year now though as people seem to get in there very early!!

Becky
xxx

Beckyb

Back to top Go down

UPs and Downs Empty UPs and Downs

Post  Deana Godmon Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:09 am

Hi
just proving I've been here really!! I had two really good events in the week and went to my 5 hour stint at a local playcentre thinking this is it!!!!!!!! Always a bad idea - no-one was looking let alone spending - for the first 4 hours. I even admitted to being bored - something very unusual for me, don't usually have time to be bored!!
The last hour did at least bring some browsers and a couple of sales (and I mean a couple). I did hand out leaflets and catalogues to anyone who showed the least bit of interest (with the latest children in need catalogue deal catalogues are almost cheaper than leaflets!!!!!!!!!!). So I'm not downhearted just got more experience to base future plans on - see once an optimist always an optimist!!!!!!!!!!!

Talking about children in need thing I think this is great - I was going to donate anyway so I am going to spend my donation on catalogues, that way CIN get the money and I get some great marketing material. Does that make me someone who spots a good business deal or a bad person looking for a return for charity donations!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am then going to leave the catalogues anywhere and everywhere I can get away with it, also offering them on my stands as 'please take one'. The more people see the vast range the better the chance of beating the dreaded book people et al..... (sorry to use the BP word here I will refrain from swearing in future!!!!!!!!!!)

Hoep everyone is quite because they are happily racking up the sales and enjoying the 'pre-christmas' rush. There is certainly more events around here than I could ever hope to cover and I'm sure it is the same in your areas.

I'm off for an afternoon watching some cricket (indoors!). then coming home to sort out my gala application (thought you would like that plug boss!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy )
Deana

Deana Godmon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum