The Book Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm giving up

2 posters

Go down

I'm giving up Empty Re-Giving up

Post  Guest Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:30 am

What excellent advice Deana-very impressed x

Back to top Go down

I'm giving up Empty Re: I'm giving up

Post  Deana Godmon Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:47 am

Hi Elaine

Your decision is made and I wish you well but I thought a comment might help anyone else in your situation.

I too had a lean time at a few events in the autumn and definately noticed a 'tightening of belts' and people with longer pockets than arms as my grandad used to say! But in my experience (been in business now for 20 years in various fields) once the general fuss etc dies down in the press and people realise that their actual income has not changed that much they will gain confidence and start spending. That's not to say that many will not be affected and that is sad but the vast majority of people will ride this one out just as they always do.

At my last six events I have noticed an increase in sales and some of this is due to the above but some is due to the fact that I am becoming known at some of these venues and people are spending because they now trust me (I've got to say it surprises me how many strangers give me an order and pay up front and trust me to deliver when they have no idea who I am or where I come from - they obviously trust the Usborne name but in this day and age a name is not always what it seems!)

I suppose what I am trying to say is businesses have their ups and downs it's part of the 'fun' of running your own business!!!! (although fun is not always the word I have used!!)

good luck everyone with the run up to christmas - keep getting out there as often as you can and in whatever ways you can, working from home we can't rely on passing trade!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nuff said Deana

Deana Godmon

Back to top Go down

Post  Elaine H Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:35 am

Thanks for the replies! I wont officially resign as like you have said i've done the £100 needed to stay for another year so will see what the new year brings and keep my options open. Have emailed the job details to Hayley so hope it all goes well for her. Hope you all have a great xmas to although i'm sure i will pop back before hand and say it again! Good luck to all and thanks again xxx

Elaine H

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:03 pm

Hi Elaine,
Got someone for your event-it's just around the corner from her! I've pm'd you her email as I'm not sure if she can get on the forum.
Becky

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:03 pm

Hi Elaine,
So sorry you are leaving us.Times are bad at the moment and people are being very cautious about their money-us as well as customers.However you have put in an order since September so you can either just stay as you are and see what happens next year or write in to Usborne and resign officially. You have no further obligations until next Sept-Dec when you have to do the £100 to stay,so maybe just chuck the books under the bed and see how it goes. It does take a while to be able to build up and earn lots through this,the best way to do it is build a team.It's just a shame events haven't gone well for you-if they had I know you would be in a different position now.
I'm always about if you need a chat as is Amanda. Whatever you decide to do though-take care and as Caroline says-have a great christmas! santa

PS will let a couple of my team know about Brasted-sure someone will be up for it

Becky x

Back to top Go down

I'm giving up Empty I'm giving up

Post  Guest Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:26 am

Hi Elaine,
Sorry to hear you are leaving, Sad yes it is tuff out there at the moment, as someone mentioned a while ago with some books how can you compete with WHSmiths.
Times are getting hard for all of us, but at least you have given it your all.
All the best for the future, have a fab christmas and new year. santa rendeer
regards
Caroline.xxx

Back to top Go down

I'm giving up Empty I'm giving up

Post  Elaine H Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:58 am

Hiya all, after much thought and a lot of bad jobs and money spent i have decided i'm gonna give Usborne up. It is taking up to much time and money and i just dont seem to be able to sell! I did a school xmas fair today and had nearly all my books at half price but still didnt sell much, wether its the credit crunch or what i dont know but unfortunately its not working for me so think its time to call it a day. Thank you all for your help and support since i joined and i wish you all well! I've had a job offerd to me for next Sunday which i cant do anyway as already have plans so if anyone would like to do it then please get in touch, its Brasted(near sevenoaks) xmas fair and runs from 1pm-4pm. xx

Elaine H

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum