The Book Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rhetorical Question

Go down

Rhetorical Question Empty Re: Rhetorical Question

Post  Deana Godmon Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:45 pm

As the 'boss' is safely away now I can write this - hopefully there will be so many posts by the time she gets back she will miss it Very Happy

Was unable to try out ideas today (or should that be yesterday as it is early in the morning) as I turned up and the event wasnt there. Upon returning home I found that I had written the wrong day in my diary - its tomorrow (or today if you like - or in beckie speak after one more sleep) I had the day wrong!!!!!! I am doing a gallops tour for my other business tomorrow so cannot make the event. Old Age is a terrible thing!! affraid

I have made my peace with the organiser and will make the next one but I was a sight to be seen, balancing all my books trundling around to the centre, trying the door and almost falling over when it was locked!!!!!! The teenagers playing football in the square didn't notice - or did they?

I will definately try out the ideas at my next event though. Thanks amanda for your imput.

deana

Deana Godmon

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:52 pm

I've just stumbled onto this thread and it is FANTASTIC!!!! Well done you two lovely ladies-what a wealth of ideas and info on here! I would write some of my own but it's 23.50,I'm leaning on the ironing board making a token effort at Dan's shirts and meant to be going on holiday in just over 36hours so may not get a chance to post any ideas of my own! Must start shopping and packing tomorrow!!!!

However just wanted to say I love this thread-special goodie to you both I think!!!! queen

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical Question Empty Also.....

Post  Guest Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:38 am

When i do home parties and do our little ice breaker games, I give away either a posh packet of biscuits or box of malteasers (only £1 in poundland) and the £5 voucher if they host a party. I put 3 vouchers in envelopes and do 2 with that in and one with 10% off if they spend over £20 that day. It either encourages them to spend more that day or book a party for themselves and is cheaper than giving away a book which I know some organisers do.
I use the little paper bags from Usborne for my goody bags instead of the plastic ones Emily does as I think it looks nicer and they are eaiser to store as they stand up nicely together in a box and don't get squashed!

Back to top Go down

Post  Deana Godmon Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:00 am

Thanks for taking the time to give your ideas Amanda.

I had heard about your efforts at the soft play area at the meeting in the evening so I have contacted my next booking at the soft play place in ashford and suggested that they allow me to do a draw - as you did - and also they are putting up two tickets for free entry as a prize for a bookmaking competiton. So this gives me two excuses to go round and talk to people (and a use for all the spare bookmarks that are lying around after a previous event)!

I saw the gift bags used to great success at the County Show by Emily and it is interesting that you are having success too. I might think about this one for toddler group visits as well. I like the voucher idea particularly to spend at parties.

I am doing a fun day for the local surestart on wednesday I just might put some of the ideas you suggest to the test as it is never a big selling event. I'll let you know how I get on.

Deana

Deana Godmon

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical Question Empty What would I do?

Post  Guest Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:30 am

I did a launch party of a magazine for things for kids under 5 to do in my area and I went with no intention of selling. I knew I was only going to have a very small table so would not be able to display much so I scrapped the selling part and just focussed on booking parties and recruiting. Yes I did the prize draw slips and did get 1 party booked and I gave out 1 recruiting pack (not that it turned into anything). I took a Wind Up Train book with me and put it on one of my plastic boxes so it was kid height. All the kids came over and it gave me chance to get chatting to the Mums and fill in prize draw slips.
Handing out info is great but what I did the last few events I was at last year, was I made up a bag for the kids with a balloon, a sweet and Usborne book mark in it and put the info in the bag with it. I put info on hosting a party with a £5 voucher attached to it, a current leaflet and a recruiting postcard. It does not cost that much and it's nice to be able to give something to the kids and the parents are really grateful.
Becky and I were at a soft play area last week and we wanted to do prize draw slpis but felt a bit awkward about just going around to tables asking people. I had some of the FYT sticker books left from when they were on offer so we did a draw there and then and told them that they would also be entered into the £100 draw later. Becky ended up giving out 4 recruitment packs and I got a party booked. The sticker book cost me less than £1 and it made it easier for us to approach people as we were giving something away.
I don't know if that helps but I thought I would share my ideas. You never know, they may work for you too!

Back to top Go down

Rhetorical Question Empty Rhetorical Question

Post  Deana Godmon Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:10 am

Hi

What do you do if you do an event and sell nothing?

What I did was:

a) made a pack up of leaflets and A5 flyers about having a party and working with usborne and handed them to all the participants as they left (had an idea they weren't going to get stuck in as they were giving me a wide berth which gave me time to make up packs). Could not talk to them as a class was taking place so I just watched and sang along when necessary. Made sure they knew I would deliver any orders to the group to save them postage if they liked anything they saw.

b) cold called a nursery on the way home and got a booking and then called into the soft play area next door and got a 'call me back to discuss after half term' which made me feel a lot better!

c) called into a farmers market to check it out as a possible selling opportunity (unfortunately although the signs were up it wasn't on until later but I did get a lead to a table top event later in the spring from reading the notice board

So not a wasted morning!

The reason for the posting - if you are still with me is - What would you have done? (Yes, Beckie prize draw slips was a possibility if I hadn't left them on the kitchen table! - also I don't think they would have been very forthcoming as they were giving me a very wary eye and i heard one woman say during the class "where ever you go they are always trying to sell you something these days"

Just thought I'd pick your brains - only positive thoughts please I have my positive head on this morning!!!!!!!!

Deana

Deana Godmon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down